Random thoughts enter every cyclist’s brain during long miles in the saddle. But one U.S. company is breaking the monotony and giving riders the opportunity to make a statement – with custom bar tape designs.
Zevlin, a Dallas-based company created by cyclist brothers Drew and Brad Hagestad, is the only custom bar tape producer in the nation. The two take logos and graphic designs and apply them to handlebar tape to provide style and support for riders.
“We went to Interbike even before being in the industry because we’ve always been around cycling,” said Brad Hagestad said. “We thought it would be cool if companies could have their logo on their display bikes, and a light bulb went off about custom bar tape.”
The two have produced bar tape with designs ranging from university cycling teams and bike shops to causes and individuals.
Check out these top 10 designs:
1. University of Oklahoma Cycling Club
2. Big Pig Racing
3. Specially-made bar tape for Kendall Ryan (Team TIBCO-SVB), pro cyclist and 2015 National Criterium Champion
4. Pissei – Italian clothing manufacturer
5. Tom’s Bicycles, Tulsa, Okla.
6. The Barfly, manufacturer of bicycle accessories
7. Athlete Octane pro cycling team
8. Team Steffie Foundation, a non-profit club
9. Audi Cycling Club, a team in the west and northwest regions
10. SFTT Divas Women’s Club; Tough Love, Bike – custom tape for Tulsa Tough race series
11. ASU Cycling Team
Zevlin creates the tape using one of six bar tape colors – black, white, gray, pink, red or yellow, then uses a logo or design the customer provides and applies it. They have a quick turnaround, and require a 10-order minimum with varying pricing levels. Zevlin also has a line of natural, made-in-the-USA chamois creams called Crack and Super Crack in addition to “Leg” shave cream and post-workout wash called BYOT, or Bring Your Own Towel.
Story sponsored by Zevlin